Monday 19 August 2013

GETTING INSPIRED! BY CALIDA ALLY


What does inspiration really mean? For me it conjures up an image of opening up a door and walking into a breathtaking world of ideas and imagination!
I go about my normal life doing all the things that need doing, happily I hasten to add, but when I sit at my computer and open that metaphorical door, I am transported into a completely different world!
Words cannot describe how I feel when I step foot into that magical wonderland full of characters, adventures, thrills, anticipation and excitement!
When I am writing I am in my element. I fall in love with my characters and their stories. There are times when even I can’t wait to find out what is going to happen next. I am not saying my writing is great, as a writer there is so much more I have yet to learn but what I am saying is that I love my characters because as I tell their story I feel like I become them and when the day comes to press that ‘send’ button, I feel like I am saying goodbye to friends. It’s almost bittersweet. Days will follow when I wonder what they are doing, how are they being received, will the editors love them as much as I do? But before long, most of the time I will embark on another project... for me, most likely a pitch competition! I am addicted to those!
What about when your WIP becomes a challenge instead of an easy loveable flow of creativity and it feels like it’s come to a standstill and you can’t see a way for it to advance? Don’t despair! Allow yourself to feel frustrated but don’t give up!
We all have moments when we don’t feel inspired and try to force ourselves to become inspired.  Don’t. The ideas and solutions will come. Take a break, go for a walk, possibly somewhere which will help spark the ideas. I love Yorkshire, Haworth in particular. Read a book, watch a movie or listen to music. Do something that stirs you. If nothing seems to be working then don’t throw it away thinking it’ll never work, put it aside. If a fresh idea comes to you, work on that. Sometimes days, weeks, months maybe even years later you will look at that idea you put aside, pick it up and finish it. No idea is ever surplus, they are all valuable.
I am by no means an expert on writing. I am merely a writer who loves to write. During moments of wanting to quit when I have thought the dream of ever becoming a published writer was too far out of reach I have found plenty of cups of tea, dark minty chocolates, friends and quotes to be a great source of help. What I am trying to say I guess is that, never give up no matter what.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” ~ Henry Thoreau.
If you would like to visit my blog, please feel free to do so. I will be talking about Crimson Frost Books today/Midnight Frost Books. Yay!
Happy writing! J
Love Calida

No comments:

Post a Comment